National Leaders of Governance (NLG)
Experienced chair of governors interested in supporting chairs of governors in other schools, can apply to be a NLG. This is part of the government’s plan to give schools a central role in developing a self-improving and sustainable school-led system.
Our National Leader of Governance (NLG)
Jane Owens MBE is Chair of Governor for a secondary school and two primary schools on the Wirral and also Chair of the Wirral Governors’ Association. Jane has deployment experience in secondary, primary schools and nursery schools. Jane’s areas of expertise include leadership, governance effectiveness, policy development, mentoring new governors, strategic direction and development planning, school standards and pupil performance, Ofsted preparation and coaching and mentoring.
What a NLG does
NLGs concentrate on developing leadership capacity. In some cases, they work in partnership with a national leader of education.
They provide support to a chair of governors in a school:
- identified as being in need of significant improvement by the Department for Education, Ofsted, a teaching school, local authority or regional school commissioner
- where attainment is below the current minimum standards set by the government
- in transition to academy status or multi-academy trust
- where the chair of governors is new
- where working practices for a chair, headteacher or leadership group need developing